Enterprising and Professional Women – New York City (EPW-NYC) is an affiliate of Business and Professional Women International (BPW) and Enterprising and Professional Women-USA (EPW-USA)
EPW-NYC was founded in 1919 by Dr. Lena Madesin Phillips and originated under another name as part of the National Federation of Business and Professional Clubs of the USA .
In the early 2000’s, the majority of women retired, moved away and the organization became dormant. It was revitalized in 2009.
EPW-NYC has a rich history and many inspiring women who have come before us. Four first ladies of the United States, a US supreme court justice, authors, businesswomen and pioneers of the women’s equality movement were members of this organization at one time or another.
Help all women reach their professional, business and leadership potential through educational programs, collaborative business relationships, economic empowerment activities and networking opportunities.
Benefits of Membership
- Enrich your professional and personal contacts.
- Meet women leaders, executives, entrepreneurs, small business owners, as well as women from large corporations, in the professions and non-profits. EPW-NYC is a unique and diverse group of women working collaboratively to obtain equality in all areas of our society.
- Learn from the experiences of others’ successes an education and inspiration in itself!
What differentiates the EPW-NYC chapter from other organizations?
- Membership investment = automatic membership in three organizations: EPW-NYC, EPW-USA and BPW International.
- Meeting your international sisters when they visit NYC for the UN’s annual CSW (Commission on the Status of Women), and at international and regional meetings.
- Monthly Needs and Leads Program – make and receive referrals.
- Connection to a Worldwide Network.
- Introductions when traveling to areas around the world and in the USA.
- Friendships with your sisters throughout the United States and around the world.
- Advancement of the Women’s Empowerment Principles – Women Mean Business (WEPS).
- Advocacy to achieve just and equal status for women in all areas of society, here at home and around the globe.
- A history of and shared commitment to women’s issues.
Equal Participation of Women and Men in Power and Decision-Making Roles
- Take professional responsibility on all levels in the economy, politics and society.
- Think and act locally, nationally and internationally.
- Engage in collaborative business relationships, mentoring, advocacy and networking.
- Enjoy life-long learning.
- Work with the United Nations and other international organizations to gain women’s equality.
- Develop multicultural friendships and connections.
- Develop the professional, business and leadership potential of all women.